It's a flat, flat, odd bone. It is an important hematopoietic bone.
Features 3 parts:
- Xiphoid Process
- External or Chest
- Internal or Pleural
- concave and smooth
- jugular notch
- Right and Left Clavicular Notches
- Presents a costal notch for the 1st costal cartilage and 1/2 for the 2nd
- Links with the body
- Sternal Angle – between the Manubrium and the Body
- Outer Face: Anterior or pectoral (flat)
- Inner face: Posterior or pleural (concave)
- Superior Edge: Articulates with the manubrium
- Lower Edge: Articulates as xiphoid process
- Lateral Edge: 1/2 costal notch for 2nd costal cartilage and costal notch for 3rd to 7th costal cartilage
It is thin and elongated. It is the smallest of the three portions.
- xiphoid process foramen
The sternum articulates with the clavicles and cartilages of the seven (7) first ribs.
| STERNUM - ANTERIOR AND SIDE VIEW|
|Source: SOBOTTA, Johannes. Atlas of Human Anatomy. 21 ed. Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan, 2000 .|